Thursday, January 30, 2014

STRUMPSHAW FEN IN JANUARY PART 2: WOODLAND

   Moving on from reception hide to the bird feeders nearby I could see a collection of birds flitting around the trees and bushes. Foremost among these were the Chaffinches, Blue and Great tits and Goldfinches but I spotted a bird with the Chaffinches that looked a little different and closer examination revealed it to be a Brambling. These birds are mainly winter visitors to this country when they may number up to a million individuals but it is very rare to find any that breed here in the spring, the vast majority returning to breed between Scandinavia and Siberia.

   From here I walked into the woodland and after a while came to an old tree stump that seemed to be popular with the resident birds. It was evident that this stump was being used as a feeding area for the woodland species and so I settled down with the camera and waited for the first visitor. I didn't have to wait long before a Nuthatch turned up followed by a couple of others and I managed to get some good shots.

   Other regular visitors to the stump turned out to be Marsh tits and Robins as can be seen below.

   Leaving the stump behind I continued to walk through the wood where I came across several ivy covered trees which were being frequented by Blackbirds feeding on the ripe berries on the ivy. These birds were very tolerant of me and the camera as can be seen from the shots below.

   Finally as I neared the end of the trail a flock of Goldfinch could be seen feeding in an Alder tree and I snapped this picture of one bird hanging upside down to get at the seeds.










 

No comments:

Post a Comment