Wednesday, January 1, 2014

NEW YEARS DAY ON PAKEFIELD BEACH

   Thoroughly fed up with the wind and rain I decided to head off to Pakefield beach this morning even though it was dull with yet more rain forecast. This decision soon paid off as I spotted the flock of Snow Buntings below the car park that have been present in the area for the last few weeks. Today the flock appeared to be between 30 and 40 in number although some days there is said to be up to 60 birds in size. The picture above shows some of the flock today.

   The birds were very flighty possibly because of the number of dogs running loose in the area constantly chasing around disturbing them but luckily for me some locals have been seeding an area of the beach and I found that if I stayed in this area the birds would eventually come back to me. I could see when the birds were close that many of them had colour rings as well as conventional metal rings on their legs so it would be interesting to find out where they were trapped. The pictures above show a female bird as well as the more showy male with its bright white feathering and the one below shows a group of females. It was great to see such a number of these birds together and they certainly seemed to be popular with many local people coming to see them.





No comments:

Post a Comment