Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A STILL DAY LOOKING FOR OWLS

   Monday dawned cloudy but calm and I decided to visit Langley flood. On arrival I parked at Chedgrave church and walked to the river Chet passing a few houses where I saw several Bullfinches in one garden but as usual they flew off before I could photograph them. Continuing to the river it was very quiet with only a few tits and the odd Robin for company until I reached one of the bridges over an inlet into the flood from the river. The bridge at either end had been supported by an area of pilings reinforcing the banks and behind a section of piling I could see clouds of bubbles emerging into the water. Puzzled I watched until I saw a nose and whiskers appear behind the wood and I realized it was an Otter which swiftly observed me and disappeared and on crossing the bridge I could see where the Otter entered the piled area as there was an obvious trail with spraint on view. Carrying on along the flood hundreds of Mute Swan could be seen along with many geese and ducks and a few waders such as Redshank and Curlew but the path was exceptionally muddy so after a while I turned round and returned towards the church spotting along the way several Grey Heron, a Little Egret and eventually a hunting Barn Owl. The pictures below show a group of geese landing on the flood and the Barn Owl that was hunting the banks of the river.

   Moving on to Carlton Marshes in the afternoon I was hopeful of seeing the Little Owls that frequent the area but of them there was no sign so I walked out onto the marshes and looked out over the scrape where I saw more Mute Swans, Little Egrets, ducks and a hunting Kestrel. In the far distance a Barn Owl was hunting and in the same area was a Marsh Harrier which appeared to squabble with the owl on occasions. I was just thinking of leaving when I turned round and realised that a Barn Owl was hunting right behind me! The bird moved away and I followed and managed to get the picture below.

   Walking back to the car as the sun was setting I looked over to my right and could see on one of the marshes six Grey Herons within 20 yards of each other in the growing gloom. Unfortunately with the lens I had with me I could only get three of the birds in the same picture at the same time as can be seen below. A pleasant winters day in dead calm conditions with a good variety of wildlife seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment