Tuesday, June 24, 2014

OULTON MARSHES FLOWER MEADOWS

   Following a recent day spent with the SWT warden for the lower Waveney who took me onto these meadows to explain and show me some of the flora found on these rare habitats I returned with the camera to record one of the most unusual, the Marsh Pea. This plant is regarded as nationally scarce and is only found in fenland with chalky groundwater available where it uses it tendrils to climb the tall grasses and reeds in the same way as a conventional pea climbs supports in the garden.

   A wander around the meadow revealed a multitude of more common plants and flowers including some lovely Bogbean in flower.

    As well as the flora many insects thrived in the damp conditions including some Black tailed Skimmer dragonflies shown below and lots of Grass Snakes that would disappear into the undergrowth upon my approach. A beautiful environment to spend some time but not good for my hayfever!





No comments:

Post a Comment