Sunday, November 15, 2015

GREAT WHITE EGRET AT HEN REEDBEDS


   Last week I popped over to Hen reedbeds where there had been intermittent reports of a Great White Egret appearing from time to time and indeed a few days beforehand I had seen it being chased by a Grey Heron in the distance over the reeds. Apart from this there was always the chance of seeing a Kingfisher so I arrived at the first hide and prepared to wait with the skies a dismal grey colour and the threat of rain in the air. After half an hour or so a large bird flew over the hide from behind me and I could see that it was the Great White Egret but unfortunately it landed a hundred yards or so away and disappeared into a dyke to feed. A further wait of 20 minutes was rewarded when the bird emerged from the dyke and began to walk through the grass, then it took off and flew towards me in the hide and landed 30 yards away and proceeded to walk into the dyke right in front of me and began to feed. I couldn't believe my luck as normally you only get distant views of this bird as they are very wary so I carefully began to take pictures as it walked up and down the dyke occasionally catching sticklebacks and shrimps from the water.







   Gradually these magnificent birds are being seen more regularly in this country and now they have been known to breed in a few locations so the chances of seeing one are increasing and who knows in a few years they might be almost as common as the Little Egret which only 15 or 20 years ago was just as rare. When seen side by side the differences between the two egret species are obvious as the Great White is twice the size of the Little Egret making it the same size as a Grey Heron and also the Great White has a yellow bill whereas the Little Egret has a black bill.

   Back to the hide and being such a dull day I was the only person on the reserve and had the egret to myself and fully enjoyed the half an hour or so I had with it feeding in front me before it moved away a little bit and took off flying across the meadow to feed in a dyke on the other side. The Great White Egret is a magnificent bird and I was very lucky to spend time in such close proximity to it that sometimes I couldn't fit the whole bird in my camera frame with the 500mm lens I had with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment