Friday, September 27, 2013

WATER SHREW

   Last week while out with my camera walking next to a reed bed movement caught my eye on the ground in the shadow of the vegetation and closer examination revealed it to be a Water Shrew. I was delighted to see this as I had not seen one for several years but unfortunately the only lens I had with me was my 500mm which has a closest focusing distance of about 4m which meant I had to retreat to a distance with a clear unobstructed view before taking any pictures.



   The Water Shrew is our largest shrew with a body that can reach nearly 10cm in length without the tail but it is largely nocturnal which means it is not seen regularly in daylight. They only live 18 months or so and breed between April and September  managing 2 or 3 broods after which the adults die. They hunt both underwater by diving and also on the ground and their diet includes Caddis Fly larvae, Water Shrimp and terrestrial insects, beetles, worms etc. Because they are on the move constantly they need to eat half their body weight in food every day even during the winter as they don't hibernate. Unusually for a mammal they have venomous saliva which stuns their prey and indeed if you are unfortunate enough to be bitten by one then it will remain quite sore for several days. Unlike other shrews which appear a brownish colour Water Shrews are very dark on top (almost black) and whitish underneath with a clear demarcation between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment