Saturday, December 28, 2013

CHINESE WATER DEER SURPRISE

   Recently while searching for Bullfinches at SWT North Cove I was walking alongside a water meadow with the wind blowing strongly into my face when I saw a Chinese Water deer buck on the other side of the meadow. After stopping and crouching down behind my camera the buck obviously hadn't seen me and continued to approach across the grass, but eventually he seemed to hear the camera shutter firing and after staring at me for a while bolted across the meadow into the dense vegetation on the other side.

   All of these photos were taken in poor light in the late afternoon so have been enhanced a little to bring out the colour and clarity. I don't know if this particular deer is still around as a deer cull has been taking place over the last few Saturdays so he may have become a victim of this. The cull has been deemed necessary because of the increasing numbers of deer in the lower Waveney valley which is said to upset the ecological balance of the area. In the last 12 months 4 species of deer have seen at North Cove which are: Red, Roe, Muntjac and Chinese Water but I don't know if any of these are exempt from the cull.




No comments:

Post a Comment