Wednesday, August 7, 2013

LIZARDS AT STRUMPSHAW

   Yesterday a few hours were spent at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen where I was on the lookout for Swallowtail butterflies. As it turned out there were one or two around the reserve but I was never in the right place at the right time to see them; never mind hopefully they will appear in a future post. The bird life was also on the quite side with only a few waders around so I had to content myself looking at some of the more common butterfly species along with some spectacular looking dragonflies. At least the weather was nice for a leisurely stroll around the reedbed trail which is some 3.8 km in length and it was while I was on this trail that I met two 'old boys' who pointed me in the direction of a wooden walkway through the reeds where they informed me that if I was very stealthy I might be able to see some lizards that come up onto the walkway to sunbathe. Following their directions I did indeed find the reptiles which turned out to be Common Lizards and after taking one or two shots I managed to lay down on the walkway and get some eye level photos which were a little more striking. I even found a little baby Common Lizard that was only 3 or 4 cm long and got a picture of that too!
   My knowledge of lizards is very basic so I have no idea if the adults I pictured are male or female, all I do know is that they hibernate between October and March, feed on small animals and insects and give birth to live young in the early summer. On a fine day Strumpshaw Fen is fantastic for a walk and you wouldn't believe you were so close to human habitation.


   Below is the picture of the young Common Lizard.



No comments:

Post a Comment