Tuesday, February 12, 2013

SURVIVING THE SEASONS

Yesterday I took my two dogs for a walk in Aldeby where the weather was cold and cloudy so I didn't really expect to see much but that doesn't seem to ever bother the dogs who are always keen to get out.At the first wheat field we came to I could see two skylarks feeding a short distance away and looking around saw a chinese water deer rapidly running in the opposite direction. This wasn't a surprise as the wind was blowing our scent towards it and with their sense of smell you stand very little chance of a close encounter unless you approach upwind. The numbers of these introduced deer seem to be increasing and although I love to see them I can't help wondering how long it will be before there is a call for a reduction in their numbers; I know that some of the local farmers are beginning to complain about the impact they have on their crops although I don't know if there is any reality in these claims.
  Rounding a corner we walked alongside a hedge to avoid the keen wind and came across a long tailed tit flitting through the hedge looking for food. I paused for a while and watched looking for others but after a few minutes it was evident the bird was alone; I have not seen a single LTT before and it made me think that it would be very difficult to survive by itself being so small in size. I am sure that it must find other birds to roost with because they do rely on conserving their heat and energy consumption in the company of others at night.
  Further along past a small wood which as yet showed no sign of the coming spring one of the dogs pulled into a ditch and put up two pheasants which noisily complained as they flew off. These two had obviously survived the shooting season which finished a couple of weeks ago but I wonder how big a percentage of the pheasants that are bred and released actually survive the shooting season and their suicidal tendencies on roads to breed themselves in the following years.
  Reaching the halfway point in the walk a green woodpecker flew up from an area of rough grassland up into some surrounding trees and a kestrel sat on a power line feathers puffed out in the cold. This is always a popular spot for these birds of prey and about 100yards away is a tree where kestrels have nested for the last couple of years. I don't know if these birds use the same nest year after year but I will look on with interest over the coming weeks. Past a newly planted wooded area there is a lovely display of snowdrops which I will endeavor to photograph in better light conditions.
  Well on the way back now we come across a mixed flock of fieldfares, thrushes and starlings which total some 200 birds sitting on a field planted with oilseed rape. There does seem to be alot of fields planted with this crop this year but I understand that the cash returns for a crop of rape are higher than wheat or barley at the moment. Many people complain about the smell when the rape is in flower but personally it doesn't bother me and it can look spectacular when in full flower in beautiful surroundings. Just before we get back I spot 3 fieldfares in a small orchard feeding on the remains of last years apple crop and as the dogs are put back in the car I examine the body of a female greenfinch which had crashed into the window of the house and was laying on the front lawn. Goes to prove that even on the least promising days there is always something to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment